What Is #GivingTuesday?
#GivingTuesday is a global giving movement that has been built by individuals, families, organizations, businesses and communities in countries around the world. Millions of people have come together to support and champion the causes they believe in and the communities in which they live. #GivingTuesday isn’t just about fundraising, it’s about communities banding together and giving of their time, power, skills, expertise and resources. It’s about the collective spirit of generosity that brings change to our communities.
Why Support CommunityGrows
CommunityGrows is a non-profit organization fiscally sponsored by the Tides Center and committed to cultivating healthy youth through growing gardens in low-income, diverse communities. Through our integrated programs – which combine garden education, nutritious cooking and eating, and work-based learning – youth acquire the necessary skills to live a healthy life for themselves, their families, and the environment. CommunityGrows serves over 1,300 kids each year with seven full time staff, two AmeriCorps VISTA, and many volunteers. Your support helps build our capacity, allowing us to deepen our roots in the community, build stronger relationships with our youth, and increase our impact. In short, a partnership with us grows healthier kids and a healthier planet.
Ways to Support!
- Donate! As a nonprofit, we raise most of the money for our programs through grants and individual donations. Your support allows us to provide free garden and nutrition programming to our students and supports our BEETS teen workforce!
- Share our Content! Looking for other ways to get involved? Help us widen our reach and share our content leading up to the event and on the actual day!
- Create an #UNselfie! #UNselfie’s became really popular in the last couple of years to support nonprofits. Write out some text about why you donated or support CommunityGrows and then have a friend take a photo of you. Make this photo your profile picture and/or share it on your social media pages!
- Tag 5 Friends! We’ve all scrolled past a post on a friend’s timeline, but that’s a little harder if you specifically reach out to friends! Even if they can’t donate at this time, it would be great to have folks continue to share about CommunityGrows and widen our impact!
- “I’m Going!” Click that your are “attending” our Facebook event. The more people we have marked as attending, the more reach the post will have. This will also make the campaign visible to your Facebook followers.
- Come to a Workday! Get involved with our programming by volunteering at one of our weekend workdays, community events, or classes.
- Share this List! Have friends that are looking to support a nonprofit? Share this list with your friends, co-workers, book club, sports team, family, roommates, etc. so they can get involved in #GivingTuesday too!
- Take a Break! You’ve spent so much time helping us out – spend some time for yourself! Maybe get some fresh air in the garden(: